Here are some of the simplest ways to do it.
- Start the day with a few light stretches.
- Always park at the far end of lots so you’ll walk extra steps to your destination. (Skip the drive-thru.)
- Use stairs instead of elevators when possible. (And forget about moving walkways at the airport!)
- Invite coworkers on walking meetings.
- Use a standing desk and make calls when standing or walking.
- Set a timer to remind you to get up and walk every 30 minutes, at work or at home.
- Ask friends or dates to do something active together instead of sitting for a meal.
- Dance around when cooking or cleaning the house.
- Never stay seated for a commercial break. Get up and move!
- Go check the mail every day.
- Wear a fitness tracker. It will keep movement top of mind.
Steps like these are easy to see when we think a bit creatively. Have fun. And move, move, move – it feels so good.
Holly Kouvo is a personal trainer, functional aging specialist, senior fitness specialist, brain health trainer, writer, and speaker.