Anytime we think about gratitude, most people often put their health high on the list.
And not much boosts your health quite like healthy habits – including regularly exercising, eating right, sleeping well, and managing stress.
It’s always a good time to express gratitude. And here are a few more items to add to your gratitude list, all related to how fitness enriches our lives at any age. Can you think of any others?
- You’re never too old to start exercising and see immediate health benefits – for your body, brain and spirit.
- Over-50 fitness is a growing trend in the industry around the world, as more gyms, studios, manufacturers and “thought leaders” continue to see the economic power of “older” people wanting to stay healthy.
- You can exercise anywhere – with a lot of equipment, with a few items, or with nothing but your body and some motivation.
- Consistency is key to success, and it’s liberating to accept this truth – rather than to always be chasing instant results or miracle cures, and berating yourself when you fall short some days.
- We can enjoy occasional, big meals more when we’re practicing healthy lifestyles consistently. That doesn’t mean we get to eat more food at them – just that we’re allowed moderate indulgences when we are regularly exercising and eating right.
- We sleep better when we exercise regularly. And is there anything better than sleeping well?
- Exercise lowers stress, high blood pressure, cholesterol, risk of diabetes, and obesity – just for starters.
- It keeps us stronger when we come down with illnesses, and it helps us recover from surgeries and other setbacks
- Exercise is good for brain health, improving memory and mood, and lowering the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Staying fit and eating right are the best defenses against heart disease, the No. 1 killer in the United States and many other countries.
- Weightlifting has a greater effect than running, walking or cycling on lowering the risk of heart disease, according to the British Telegraph.
- Exercise is the miracle drug. It’s good for your bones, muscles, balance, heart, mental health and sleep.
- Fit folks are better lovers. At any age.
- Your grandkids will want to play with you more when you’re ABLE to play more.
- Most people love to travel freely. And that requires strength, stamina and flexibility. In other words – fitness!
Enjoy the holidays, other big events, and daily life as much as possible. Offer thanks. And give love – to everyone, including yourself.
We’re here to help you do that with safe, fun and effective guidance to help you feel better, look better, and move better!
Holly Kouvo is a personal trainer, functional aging specialist, senior fitness specialist, brain health trainer, writer, and speaker.