Highly processed foods tend to be high in fat, salt, and empty carbohydrates, so avoid those. Get some fruits and veggies in there, protein, and a little healthy fat.
Here are 10 that are just as easy as a candy bar.
- A hard-boiled egg packs protein but is low in fat and carbohydrates. They’re easy to make in advance for a convenient bite.
- Toast with avocado or peanut butter gives you whole grains, protein, good fat, and not too much of anything bad for you. Just make sure you’re using good bread.
- Veggies, pita bread, and hummus – a light and flavorful favorite.
- Mix up a protein shake and toss in some berries.
- Cheese and (clean) crackers. Again, make sure you get crackers that aren’t jacked up with salt, sugar, and other ingredients.
- Fruit, fruit, fruit.
- Plain Greek yogurt. You can mix in berries or nuts.
- Nuts and seeds are full of nutrients protein, fiber and good fat, and can reduce the risk of heart disease and other problems.
- Slices of cucumbers, red peppers, and other vegetables.
- Handy cheese snacks are available at your grocery store. Or buy blocks and slice of a piece.
See? You don’t need that candy bar at all.
Holly Kouvo is a personal trainer, functional aging specialist, senior fitness specialist, brain health trainer, writer, and speaker.