Resistance training is one of the best things we can do for our health later in life. It includes weightlifting, using resistance bands, practicing yoga, or performing moves like pushups. Whatever you call it, strength training is a must for people over 50. Here are just 10 reasons why.
- Resistance training adds years to your life.
- Stronger muscles = stronger bones.
- It works out the brain, too.
- Less body fat, better skin tone.
- Play better golf, tennis and more.
- Resistance training lowers blood pressure, bad cholesterol and inflammation.
- It relieves anxiety and tension.
- It helps improve our self-esteem and keeps us from thinking we’re weak.
- It can improve memory and mild cognitive impairment.
- Strength training is effective at treating the symptoms of Type 2 diabetes and other ailments.
If you want to get started on a resistance training program that is safe and effective for you, email me and we get you set up on a program that will keep you healthy and strong.
Holly Kouvo is a personal trainer, functional aging specialist, senior fitness specialist, brain health trainer, writer, and speaker.