Diets and exercise regimens often fall apart during the holidays. But our hints will help you get everything done while still fitting in time for fitness.
Here are some of my Helpful Holly Hints for fitting “holidaze” fitness in:
- When you go to the mall, park as far away from the door as safely possible. Then power walk to your destination.
- When you’re at the mall – and after you finish your shopping – commit to doing one power-walk lap around the building. Take the stairs instead of the escalators or elevator. Wear your pedometer and see how many shopping steps you take.
- At those holiday parties, make sure you get on the dance floor during the fast songs. Dancing can burn 130-180 calories per 20 minutes of doing a dance like the Twist.
- Instead of sitting down when you wrap presents, stand up. While you’re standing you can do some Inner and Outer Leg Presses.
- Leg Presses – While standing on one leg, move the other leg across the body (staying close to the body) as far as you can without turning your hip. Bring the leg back and extend it out away from your body in the opposite direction. Use a slow controlled movement in each direction. Do 20 repetitions on each leg.
- While you are preparing the food for your party or one you are attending, do push ups on the counter while you wait for the microwave to finish or the timer to buzz.
- Counter Push Ups – With your hands on the counter, put your feet hip width apart and about three feet from the counter. As you lean your body forward (taking your butt with you), bend your elbows to bring you closer to the counter. Push back out to starting position. Do as many as you can in the time you have.
The holidays can be stressful. Exercise is a great way to relieve that “holidaze” stress.
Happy Holly Days!
Holly Kouvo is a certified Personal Trainer, Nutrition Specialist, speaker and writer who specializes in helping people lose hundreds of pounds. Learn more at www.FittingFitnessIn.com.